CANADIAN AND GERMAN MOUNTAIN BRANDS COMBINE GLOBAL EXPERTISE TO DEVELOP THE NEW LITRIC AIRBAG SYSTEM
High tech apparel and equipment specialists Arc’teryx has joined forces with mountain safety gurus Ortovox, to develop LiTRIC™ – light and electric, a new industry leading avalanche airbag technology launching autumn/winter 2022.
Designed in partnership and made in Germany, the new LiTRIC™ electronic airbag system is powered by supercapacitators and a long-lasting Lithium-Ion battery that allows at least two inflations for at least 60 hours of use when it is fully charged, making multi-day ski tours possible with no need for recharging.
A high-performance centrifugal compressor with a compact axial diffuser fills the airbag in four seconds.
The system can be tested at no additional cost and fully charged in 25 minutes via USB-C.
As an electronic system, there’s no need for a cartridge which means more space for gear and no travel restrictions.
It also allows for multiple inflations so you can practice, practice, practice.
The revolutionary and patent-pending 150L airbag itself is made from two separate layers of material meaning it can simply be pushed back into the airbag pocket so repacking is quick and easy.
The system itself is only 1,100 grams (pack weight not included), making it one of the lightest airbag constructions on the market.
Other notable features include a height-adjustable, secure deployment handle, a reimagined safety leg strap (designed to make sure users actually wear it!), a patented locking system that prevents accidental opening of the airbag, and an LED display that shows the charge status of the battery and its readiness for operation.
Arc’teryx will house the LiTRIC™ system in a pack that is available in three sizes, a 16L, 32L and 42L, optimised for touring.
The pack contains an avalanche tool pocket, an external helmet carry system, a sternum strap with safety whistle, waist belt with stash pocket and ice-clipper slots and a dog-bone tool attachment. Skis are to be carried diagonally, and snowboards vertically. The pack is glove friendly, allowing for quick, easy transitions and carry reconfigurations. Zippers are all WaterTight™.
We’ll be taking it for a spin next month so watch this space for feedback and reviews!
- Full charge when switched on: 2 activations within approximately 60h
- Full charge when switched off: Ready to use for approximately 30 days
- Allowable battery charging temperature: -20° to 45° C (-4°F to 113°F)
- Allowable operating temperature: -30° to +45° C (-22°F to 113°F)
- Battery specification: Lithium-ion-battery nominal capacity: 3.7V, 2000mAh, 7.4Wh
- Product life: 50 activations
- LiTRIC™ System weight: 2.4 lbs /1,100g
- LiTRIC™ Airbag volume: 150L
- Two airbag top ups at one-minute intervals when deployed
- Warranty on LiTRIC™ system: two years; five years upon registering
- Production: 100% in Bavaria, South Germany