The Tre Valli is based around Moena. You’ve the option of staying here and enjoying a traditional Italian mountain town, or basing yourself on the pistes at a resort like Passo San Pellegrino.
There are more mini ski tours and peaks here than can be visited in a month. The area isn’t linked, but it is pretty big. Head west from Moena and there are three more uplifts with Ronchi the nearest, whisking you up to 2500m in the Alpe Lusia area. The upper slopes are high, south-facing and
great for simply scooting around in mixed-ability groups.
Only the wooded slopes back down to the base station are likely to cause any leg burn. Further up and straight off the road and you are onto the slopes and staying warm on the sun-drenched south-faces off the San Pellegrino lifts. The pitch is gentle and the pistes are wide; ideal for novices.
There are a couple of longer pitches to keep others happy but we’d head over to the Col Margherita to push ourselves further, though the upper runs are quite relaxed. The tree-lined run into Falcade is a fine way to burn off the final calories from lunch, leaving space for the next hefty fill-up in the evening. The whole Val di Fassa region has a series of ski tours with different themes, from Panorama to the Great War. The piste map has them detailed, as do the piste pointers.
Resort Check Dolomites navigation menu:
• The Dolomites, an introduction
• 1 The classic resort: Cortina d’Ampezzo (Veneto region)
• 2 The all-round resort: Kronplatz/Plan De Corones (South Tyrol region)
• 3 The upmarket resorts: Alta Badia (South Tyrol region)
• 4 The wide open resort: Val Gardena (South Tyrol region)
• 5 The valley resorts: Val di Fassa/Carezza (Trentino region)
• 6 The village resort: Arabba/Marmolada (Belluno Veneto/Trentino regions)
• 7 The South Tyrolean border resort: Alta Pusteria/Hochpustertal (South Tyrol region)
• 8 The cross region resort: Val di Fiemme/Obereggen (Trentino/South Tyrol regions)
• 9 The laid back resort: San Martino di Castrozza (Trentino region)
• 10 The traditional resorts: Tre Valli (Trentino/Belluno Veneto Regions)
• 11 The mighty Sella Ronda: The biggest round-trip on skis?
• The riding, in a nutshell : Fall-Line’s top runs/ Take me to the freeride skiing / Where can I take fledgling skiers / And if I’m all about freestyle?
• Eating and drinking: Where’s good for a night out? / Bring me the finest food
• Getting there for yourself and the damage: What's the best way for me to get there? / What liftpass special offers are available / Techonlogical advances
Resort Check: Kaunertal, Austria
Resort Check: Val Senales, Italy
Summer Shreddin' – Folgefonna, Norway
Resort Check Austria: Sölden v Diedamskopf
Resort Check: Les Arcs
Tignes, December 2008
Les Portes du Soleil
Shine On – Les Portes du Soleil